Friday, May 17, 2019

Math Business Project

In math class, Julia is working on a project with two partners, in which the students must come up with a business idea and plan out the financing.  Julia and her friends chose to create a Gluten-Free Bakery.  In order to get a clear sense on pricing and supplies, Julia was required to visit an actual business of a similar sort and take notes on figures.  I was dismayed when she was looking to visit a legit Gluten-Free bakery several towns away, but luckily for me, she and her partners settled on a bakery in our town that serves both regular and gluten-free cupcakes. 

Julia made plans to walk to this bakery after school today with two friends and get picked up by her friend's dad.  I'm not exactly sure how much math they actually did at the bakery, however.  Within a period of minutes, we had the following text exchange:

JULIA: I'm at Treat with my Sadie and Laura.
ME: Okay.  Thanks for letting me know.
JULIA: I got a salted caramel cupcake.  Now I'm at Walgreens.


I mean, this kid is a great student and I trust that she got done what she needed to get done, but the fact that she was in and out and the main comment was on the cupcake she bought herself makes me wonder what the heck else they bothered to do in the bakery.  Maybe Julia felt it was her moral duty to be a patron of the establishment if she was going to walk in there with questions, so she bought something to make sure she was contributing to the business.  Or maybe she just wanted a cupcake for snack.  I'm betting on the latter.

Julia came home for a couple of minutes to pack some sleepover stuff and then headed over to one of the cupcake-goers houses for a sleepover.  Madeleine was hosting a play-date with a boy from her class, and barely registered Julia's coming and going.

JULIA: Bye, Madeleine!  See you tomorrow!
MADELEINE: Bye.
MADELEINE'S FRIEND: Where is your sister going?
MADELEINE: Uh, to a play-date.
ME: Well, to a sleepover.
MADELEINE'S FRIEND: And why did she get home from school so late?
MADELEINE: Uh...I don't know.
ME: Because she had to go to a bakery for a math project.  Now she's sleeping over at her friend's house.


Clearly Madeleine paid zero attention to my part in the conversation.  This literally just happened:

ME: Okay, Madeleine, time to brush your teeth.
MADELEINE: Okay.  But Mommy.  Is Julia SLEEPING OVER somewhere? - because she's still not home!
ME: Yeah, she's sleeping over at Sadie's.
MADELEINE: WHAT?   Why does SHE get to have a sleepover?!?  Nobody every TOLD me she's sleeping over!
ME: Madeleine, that's why she said "Bye, see you tomorrow" when she was leaving.
MADELEINE: No she didn't!
ME: She actually did.  And that's why I told you she's having a sleepover when you said she's having a play-date.
MADELEINE: No you didn't!  Nobody every TOLD me.


I definitely don't spend my days feeling like I'm talking to a wall.



1 comment:

  1. Oh Madeleine, FOCUS! Got to love her! XO. I hope Julia did get her business plan questions answered, and, I hope she had fun at the sleep over.

    ReplyDelete