Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Sick Kiddies

The poor kids have been sick and kind of miserable of late.  Julia stayed home from school on Monday with a sore throat, and I took her in to get a throat culture after work, which was positive for strep.  I knew something was really off, because Julia was just not herself.  Not a single step was galloped all day!  She just sat around shivering (despite the 85 degree temperatures) and languid.  Within 12 hours of starting an antibiotic, she was back to her usual chatterbox self, so I am hoping we have turned the corner.  Still no galloping, but maybe Lilly Mintz is just sick with strep herself, so there's not much to think about in the Mintz world, aside from Lilly resting in bed.

Madeleine has been a snot factory, so congested that her breathing makes a rattling, suctioning sound.  She now has a cough to go along with her congestion, and let me tell you: her fingers are pretty much CONSTANTLY up her nose.  I keep trying to remind her how germy that is, and I discovered that Madeleine never fully understood why I tell her not to pick her nose.

ME: Honey, your mucus carries as much bacteria and viruses as your saliva, so every time you stick your finger up your nose and then touch something, you could be passing along your sickness.
MADELEINE: Oh!  Mommy!  I always thought you told me not to pick my nose because it's GROSS!  *Now* I understand it's because it spreads GERMS!

It's both, honey.  And her realization has not stopped the picking fest, although she has made one amendment.

MADELEINE: Mommy.  At school, if you pick your nose, you have to go and throw it in the trash and wash your hands.  So now I *only* pick my nose at HOME.

How about no nose-picking at all?  I guess that's too much to ask while she's full of snot, but maybe as a post-allergy/cold goal?!? 

Fingers crossed for a swift return to 100% health in the Rowe household, and a LOT less mucus!

No comments:

Post a Comment