Thursday, May 3, 2018

Madeleine the Activist

I daresay Madeleine is quite the young liberal feminist.  Here are a few examples of her current activism:

1:

ME: (going into Madeleine's bedroom) Good-night, sweetheart.
MADELEINE: (holding out her folded hands towards me to show me she's praying)
ME: (Waiting for at least ten minutes while Madeleine continues to pray.)
MADELEINE: (finished) Good-night, Mommy.
ME: That was a really long prayer!  What were you praying for?
MADELEINE: It's always the same.  It's SEVERAL prayers.  First I start with the prayer you taught me when I was little, then I do a prayer to keep everyone I love safe, THEN I pray for Donald Trump to get impeached, and then I pray for God to send Jesus back to Earth to stop global warming.
ME: Oh, wow!  You know, instead of praying for Trump to get impeached, you could also pray for God to give Donald Trump a change of heart so he'll do good for our country.
MADELEINE: Nah, I just want him impeached.
ME: Oh, okay.



2:

This morning

MADELEINE: Oh my God, oh my God, OHMYGOD!  (running off towards her room) Oh, Phew, phew, phew, PHEW! (scampering back to the breakfast table.)
ME: (alarmed) What's the matter?
MADELEINE: I thought for a second that I forgot to turn my bedroom light off!

Crisis averted!  We are going GREEN around here!



3:

MADELEINE: There's a spider!  A spider!  A spppiiiiiiiiiiideeeeeer!
ME: Just leave it, honey.
MADELEINE: No, we HAVE to rescue it!  We have to return it to its home out in nature!
ME: Just leave it, it's fine.
MADELEINE: No, we can NOT leave it!  I need a cup!  (running upstairs and, to my dismay, grabbing one of my stemless wine glasses and running back downstairs)

A MINUTE LATER

MADELEINE: Moooommmy!  I need yoooooou!  I can't get the cup to flip over without losing the spiiiiiiiider!
ME: Just leave the spider be.
MADELEINE: No!  Mommy!  He needs OXYGEN!

So I interrupted the activity I was doing to go rescue the spider who needed oxygen and return him to his natural environmental habitat.


Madeleine Rowe, changing the world, one spider at a time!

1 comment: