Saturday, May 26, 2018

Madeleine the Scientist

Madeleine is currently reading the book "Women in Science," so, as usual, she has become inspired and now imagines herself a scientist.  Apparently this has extended into her time at school recess.

MADELEINE: When I was on the swings at recess, I thought, "What would a scientist do?  A scientist would do MATH."  So I made up my own math questions and answered them in my mind.

I am certainly not going to fault her for deciding to practice math facts of her own accord.  However, I would argue that a scientist might be more likely to think about the physics and mechanics of how the swing works than practice math problems while swinging, but whatever.  *I'm* no scientist, so what do I know?

Madeleine has also shown off her verbal prowess while discussing her wariness of home made ice cream.

Last night, right before bed:

MADELEINE: I wish it was TOMORROW!  Because Auntie Shannon is going to show me how to make home-made ice cream tomorrow!
ME: I know, you told me.
MADELEINE: But...I'm SKEPTICAL, because I didn't like the way home-made marshmallows tasted, so I might not like home-made ice cream.


I honestly had no idea she knows the word "skeptical."  I was skeptical of Madeleine knowing "skeptical" until she went and used it correctly in context.  Sheesh.


And her skepticism allows her to be a scientist while making ice cream: she hypothesizes that she may not like it, so she will be able to either confirm or deny her theory upon tasting the final product!

No comments:

Post a Comment