Monday, June 13, 2016

Flower and Teeth

One of Madeleine's kindergarten friends gave her a flower from her own bouquet after the Kindergarten Talent Show last week.

I don't want to get Madeleine all worked up, but I think it's time to chuck her flower.  It has certainly seen better days:






I appreciate the innovative means by which Madeleine has attempted to resuscitate her flower, including taping the broken stem.  However, I think it's safe to say that the flower is beyond saving at this point.


In other news, poor Julia had to have two teeth pulled today, in preparation for her upcoming palette expander and braces.  She was really nervous for the procedure, and in discussing it with her afterwards, I now understand why.

JULIA: Mommy?  For some reason, I thought, like, when they were gonna remove my teeth, they were just gonna, like, take these PLIERS and yank my tooth out.

Apparently Julia was thinking she was still at the Little Red Schoolhouse in 1850, before novocaine was in standard use.  She clearly doesn't even understand what the novocaine does, as she pontificated on the difference between losing a tooth the natural way versus having it pulled.

JULIA: Mommy?  My mouth feels really WEIRD right now.
ME: That's because it's still numb from the novocaine.
JULIA: But wanna know something?  I don't remember my mouth ever feeling weird before when I've lost my other teeth.
ME: Well, honey, that's because you didn't have to get novocaine to just lose your baby teeth.
JULIA: No, but, the novocaine was only put in that one SPOT.  My whole mouth feels weird, like my LIPS feel numb and it feels like somebody smeared toothpaste all over my front teeth.

I attempted to explain the effect of numbing agents and anesthetic properties, but Julia simply couldn't believe that the measly novocaine application could be causing all that smeary toothpaste weirdness.  Apparently our discussion was a disturbance to Madeleine, who was blithely reading "Trixie the Halloween Fairy," in her booster seat as we drove home.  As Julia attempted to tell me something that I couldn't understand, between the sound of the radio and her swollen mouth, I had to have her repeat what she was saying multiple times.

ME: (turning off the radio) Oh, okay, now I know what you're saying.  Your speaking voice is a little hard to understand because of the numbness too.
JULIA: Wait, what do you mean?
ME: Well, the reason I had trouble understanding what you were just saying to me was because it sounds a little...like...(imitating her garbled speech)
JULIA: Really?
ME: Well, I'm exaggerating it, but between the music and your numb mouth, I couldn't figure out what you were saying. (turning the radio back on)
MADELEINE: Mommy, could you please not do that ever again, because I can't concentrate on what I'm trying to read.
ME: Do what?? (getting ready to turn the radio back off, assuming the return of the music had distracted her.)
MADELEINE: Uh, talk like JULIA with her numb mouth, because...it's really DISTRACTING to me when I'm reading.

I guess only me talking like Julia was distracting, huh.  Not Julia's loud marble-mouthed, repeated shouting of the same thing until I understood her.  It's always my fault, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment