Friday, July 24, 2015

Sleepy People

We parents know that we're up way earlier than we want to be when we're awake before our young children. 

This morning, I even got chastised for it, because obviously all the fun must be happening when Ethan and I are stumbling around at the crack of dawn making our coffee and taking our showers.

JULIA: (accusingly) Mommy?  How come when I woke up to go pee and I checked the clock and it said 6:09, you and Daddy were ALREADY up?
ME: Uhhh...well, we had to get up.
JULIA: But why didn't you TELL me *I* could get up?

Awful, awful parents.  Letting our child, who didn't get to bed until after 9 last night, sleep until she naturally awoke.

In the case of Madeleine, I actually did have to gently encourage her awake, as we had places to be.  I crept into her room and the sound of her door opening was enough to make her eyes flutter open.

MADELEINE: Mama?  I think I did my LONGEST sleep!
ME: Oh yeah?  Are you still tired?  Would you like to sleep a little more?
MADELEINE: No thanks.  Besides, I think there were bombs in my dream.
ME: Oh, so it was a scary dream you were having?
MADELEINE: And Mama?  I think I like the Mickey Mouse with COLORS better than the Mickey Mouse that's black and gray and white.  Because...that Mickey Mouse sometimes doesn't even TALK.  I think because it's more from, like, the OLDEN days.

Yes, those olden days of the 1930s.  Not even 100 years ago, but I guess for a kid who has only known the 2000s, it's a pretty long time back.

At any rate, I think both kids could have benefit from much more sleep.  Julia had the "WORST DAY" of her LIFE because the vending machines at the pool were broken, therefore she had to wait until AFTER Madeleine's swim lesson to eat snack back at our house.  Madeleine had a screaming fit because Julia is NOT THE DOG TRAINER, and she's NOT ALLOWED TO BE A DOG TRAINER, because only MADELEINE CAN BE A DOG TRAINER (all this because Julia tried to help Clara the chihuahua up the stairs while Madeleine was changing out of her bathing suit.)  Seeing as tomorrow is the weekend, I will (hopefully) happily NOT be up and about at 6:09, so Julia can just get back in her cozy little bed after waking up to pee, knowing she's not missing out on ANY of the morning fun.

1 comment: