Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Another Random Conversation

Today's prize for initiation of a completely random conversational topic goes to -- surprise, surprise -- Madeleine!

As we drove to the pool for her swim lesson, this is what we talked about:


MADELEINE: Mama?  It's not really very fun when you make a new friend, but...the friend is an ANIMAL so you can't TALK to each other.


Now on first hearing this, it did not seem random to me, seeing as we have had Auntie Shannon's chihuahua Clara visiting with us for the past few weeks.  But I soon learned how off-base I was.


ME: Oh yeah?  Are you thinking of Clara?
MADELEINE: No.  (thoughtful silence) I was just thinking of if we bought a HORSE.
ME: Oh.  Okay.
MADELEINE: And if you were looking at the horse and SMILING with your eyes really wide and FREAKY-looking, and the horse was RIGHT THERE over by your window.
ME: Hmm.  Okay.
MADELEINE: Yeah.  Because...sometimes I get BORED at home, and that's an ACTIVITY I can do.
ME: What's an activity?  You mean you can imagine you have a horse when you're bored?
MADELEINE: No.  Mama.  If we HAD a horse that would be an ACTIVITY that I could do.  Riding on a horse.


I just.  I don't even.  I cannot possibly imagine what it must be like to be inside Madeleine's brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment