Friday, June 19, 2015

2nd Grade Poems

Today, Julia brought home a box full of classwork from throughout the school year.  Included in the work papers was a set of poems, and I'll share some of my favorites here.


 Fly Fly by Julia

"Fly fly, soaring high. 
While you see me passing by.
Dancing on the sun,
which is so fun.
Dancing on the moon
in the afternoon.
Fly fly, soaring high.
You will see me zooming by.
This way that way, here too!
I will zoom with you!
Woo!"

It's the final "woo" that does it for me, man.  Hits you like an exclamation-point punch of poignancy.



House

"I have a great house up high on a hill
I do a cartwheel on the window sill.
A house has a chimney, a house has a door
and a house has a roof.
We look through the window, we peer out the door.
To surprise we have to crawl on the floor.
And in our house there is a mouse.
And there is a hole in our house with a lot of mice.
Our house is big and your house is small,
but really, the size does not matter at all."

This one is very Dr. Seussian, though it's missing his perfect balance of rhyming meter. '

And for the record, it's great that your fictional, poetical house is big, but I think I might opt for the small house instead, if the small house does NOT have a mouse nor a hole with a lot of mice.  And, really, to be honest, I'm also fine without the death trap that is cartwheels on the windowsill of a house that is high on a hill.



Prized Popsical

"Your cold, your sweet, your delisous,
this is what you are.  Your a popsical.
Red, orange, any color will do. 
As I spend my days licking and eating you.
I find myself in a tangle of words that I can't describe,
but of course all the words are about you, my delisous popsical.
I look at you and then I see I have a great destiny!"

WOW.  This is some SERIOUS poetry.  A tangle of words?  A great destiny??  (I do hope that part of her destiny is learning the difference between "your" and "you're".  Maybe in 3rd grade.)  Who would ever have thought that the experience of eating a popsical could be so profound?!?



Pencil

"Point is always sharp, you always make me smart.
Your yellow and shiny, and you've got a nice eraser.
You make me smile,
all the while
I wright on my great math sheet."

Yeah, my pencils always make me smile, too.



What I Like About My Ice Cream by Julia

"I can feel you, I can see you, I can taste you.
I love you, ice cream.
Your great to lick, 
You never make me feel sick!
I cream, I love you!
I love you alot!
I can't live without you, 
I have not forgot.
Please do not leave me.  
Please, do not...
Now you have left me and I miss you alot."

I like the Shel Silverstein vibe to this poem, with the sardonic ending.  
I guess the ice cream eating is not as epic an experience as the popsical one.  The empty ice cream cone leaves her feeling sad, while the popsical stick gives her visions of her great destiny.  

I have a tangle of words in my head right now as I contemplate all of this insightful poetry!

No comments:

Post a Comment