Monday, April 27, 2015

Madeleine's Request

Madeleine is regaining some energy, though still not much of an appetite, in the aftermath of her stomach bug.  Today she managed to eat a few bites of a peanut butter sandwich and a few apple slices, but otherwise declined snack in the afternoon and didn't even manage to finish a glass of water.  For dinner this evening, I tried giving her a little bit of the couscous that accompanied our meal, and while she agreeably ate some spoonfuls, she took a LONG time to swallow each bite and was happy when I told her she didn't need to finish it all.  Then came the most shocking part: she didn't even want dessert.  Last night she also declined dessert, but she hadn't even eaten any dinner; tonight, since she had attempted dinner, I was sure the idea of dessert would tempt her.  Wow.  This kid must REALLY be sick if she willingly OPTS OUT of dessert.

And I must be really desperate for my kid to get a little sugar in her depleted system because I was offering her anything in the world that is edible and in our house.


ME: Madeleine, are you sure you don't want dessert?
MADELEINE: I'm sure.
ME: How about a Peep?  Do you want a marshmallow Peep like Julia just had? (pointing at Julia's package of Peeps on the table.)
MADELEINE: Uh, Mama, those are JULIA'S Peeps.
ME: I know, but would you like one of your own?  I can get you one from your room.
MADELEINE: No thanks.
ME: Are you sure you don't want just one Peep?
MADELEINE: I'm sure.

Eat the candy, Madeleine.  Eat the sugar.  EEEEEAAAAT THE CAAAAAANDYY!

What sort of anti-mom am I here?!?

Then I started offering other things.

ME: Is there anything at all you'd like?  I can get you any food you feel like eating.
MADELEINE: Well, Mama, there is one thing I want.
ME: (eagerly) What is it?
MADELEINE: You KNOW, Mama.
ME: I do?  What is it?  Dessert?
MADELEINE: Mama.  You KNOW. 
ME: Milk?
MADELEINE: No.  Mama. It's from BEFORE I got sick.
ME: Lemonade?
MADELEINE: No.
ME: A donut?
MADELEINE: No.  Mama.  (trying to give me a verbal prompt as a helpful hint) T-t-t-
ME: Uh...(I was literally thinking "tonut?")
MADELEINE: Mama.  T-t-t-TOYS.

Oh.  Toys.  Yeah, sorry, honey, but even being sick doesn't get you sympathy toys.  Food of any sort, SURE.  But toys?  Gotta wait til the next gift-giving holiday.

But at least Madeleine realized my desperation and attempted to manipulate my worried mother-hen state of emotion to try and get some toys out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment