Monday, June 23, 2014

The Rushed Bedtime Gone Right

Because Ethan and I were hard at work stripping wallpaper from our kitchen walls this evening, the girls got an abbreviated version of their bedtime routine.  Julia opted to start off by reading "Kirsten's Runaway Mystery" aloud, in full volume, from up in her bedroom so that we adults could hear from downstairs.  Madeleine got two quick books read to her, followed by a short song.  I guess she was thrown by the fast pace, however, because she attempted to repeat the prayer she had already said.

ME: (starting to sing Madeleine's lullaby)
MADELEINE: Wait Mama!  I didn't say my prayer.
ME: Yes you did, remember?  You said it while I was turning off your light.
MADELEINE: Well Mama?  Is it okay if I say it TWO times?
ME: Sure.
MADELEINE: But...not a HUNDRED times.  That would be TOO many times.  That would be like I would grow up to be CRAZY.  Like, I would eat cake at ONCE.

I think her daddy might agree that if she said her prayer a hundred times she would grow up to be crazy.  I'm not sure if he would agree that she might eat cake at once, though.

Luckily, even though the routine was rushed, Madeleine made sure to babble at me as I gave her a very brief snuggle.

MADELEINE: Mama?  Do you remember the time in the car when Julia was whimpering and I kept trying to cheer her up and she said, "Only a little LOVE will cheer me up," so I kept giving her lots and lots of love and when we got home I was, like, FILLED with love and so was Julia?

I didn't remember that incident, but it sure does warm my heart hearing about it.

By 7:30, Ethan and I were back to wallpaper stripping, and when I peeked in on the girls, they were both reading in bed.  I suspected they were both going to be awake for awhile without our strict surveillance.

I guess I was wrong;  8:11 pm and behold!:

Madeleine, cozied up with "The Little Prince"


Julia and Jesus, snuggling under the covers



Hooray for sleepy girls!



No comments:

Post a Comment