Saturday, June 14, 2014

Sleepover Party!

Julia is at her first ever birthday sleepover party right now, and she couldn't have been more excited about it.  Not only is the birthday girl Julia's closest friend from school, but the party is American Girl-themed.  The kids were all instructed to dress as their favorite American Girl.

After careful consideration, Julia decided that dressing as her FAVORITE favorite American Girl (Josefina, who is Hispanic) posed too much of a challenge to be realistic, so she went a different route.  (And, really, any route is a safe one because Julia loves ALL of the American Girl characters.)

Since Julia ardery emulates 1940's fashion (she wears knee socks on Wednesdays!), she decided to go to the party as Molly McIntyre.

What do you think?  Did she pull off the look?






Now, the real question on my mind is: will Julia actually sleep?  I know she doesn't intend to sleep much; part of her excitement over the sleepover is to stay up late talking with her friends.  But as the mom of a 7-year-old who kind of falls apart when she's tired, I sure *hope* she and her friends just happen to conk out mid-conversation.

Speaking of, the whole idea of staying up late and chatting is an experience Julia deeply yearns for.  She has been begging for a night upon which she can engage in the above with Auntie Shannon.

It has come up multiple times.

JULIA: Mom?  Tonight can I stay up late and chat with Auntie Shannon?
ME: No, honey, you have school tomorrow.
JULIA: But when CAN I stay up late and chat with Auntie Shannon?
ME: How about on a weekend.

Later

JULIA: Mom?  What weekend CAN I stay up late and chat with Auntie Shannon?
ME: I don't know, maybe after school is over.

Later

JULIA: Auntie Shannon?  When should we stay up late and CHAT?
AUNTIE SHANNON: Uh...we'll, let's see...
JULIA: Next weekend?  Or the weekend AFTER?

The date has been all planned out.  It is seriously on Julia's calendar in her room:





I guess tonight will be a trial run for the future "Stay up late and chatt" date.  All I can say is that I hope my little Molly McIntyre gets at least a somewhat decent night's rest!

1 comment:

  1. Very chic party. I liked going through these details. Hosting the parties is quite a difficult thing for me. At one of the Los Angeles venues I will host a grand party for my husband’s 30th birthday. I will get help from a party planner in making it enjoyable. Hope that it will be enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete