Monday, June 2, 2014

Madeleine's Bottle

Madeleine's school project today was a bottle filled with water, glue, and glitter.  She was super excited to show it off to me when I arrived to pick her up this afternoon.

MADELEINE: Mama!  So.  This is what you do.  You use this when you're MAD, and you SHAKE it when you're MAD, and then you put it on the table, and you watch it all SPARKLE on down.

It's kind of like a "take a break" or "time out" technique.  Use your physical anger and pent-up energy to shake the bottle, then sit quietly watching the sparkles swirl around until the bottle settles, by which time you are likely to be feeling calmer.

In case you still don't get how it works, Madeleine demonstrates on video:





As I started to type this blog, I realized I have no idea what exactly the bottle of sparkle water is called.  I figured there must have been a name to the project the kids did.  Apparently not.

ME: So Madeleine.  Does this bottle you made have a name?
MADELEINE: Uh...I named her Sparkle-riffic.
ME: Sparkle-riffic, huh?
MADELEINE: I mean... Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle RIFFIC!  (pause)  And then Sparkle.

So I guess that's what Madeleine named her bottle.

I think I might need to make a Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle Riffic Sparkle for myself!

1 comment:

  1. Wait. You shouldn't take your cup of goldfish and chuck it across the room when you're mad?!?!??

    ReplyDelete