Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Halloween fort game

Yesterday after school, Julia wanted to play "something really fun together, like the HALLOWEEN FORT game!" How could I turn that down? So she got busy setting up our individual forts. Hers was more of a traditional fort, though she opted to sit atop the fort most of the game, rather than underneath where it was dark and probably boring:



My fort was enormous, and consisted of a circle of chairs upon which I could sit, plus a pillow for when I got tired and needed to lay down, as well as a smorgasboard of plastic pretend food to eat if I got hungry:



My daughter knows me too well; she even included a coffee maker in my new digs. And hey, I really can't complain about the fact that I got to fort it up in royal comfort while she got to sit under a table covered with blankets in the dark.

Of course, since it was not just the fort game but the HALLOWEEN FORT game, we had to have a jack-o-lantern. While some might argue that it already had a face, Julia insisted that it did not, and set about carving it with a plastic play kitchen knife:



Speaking of pumpkins, Julia and I had the following conversation this morning:

ME: Julia, don't you think Madeleine has such a round little pumpkin head?
JULIA: (smiling nervously like she's not sure what to say)
ME: You have a nice round pumpkin head too. I'm so jealous. I wish I had a pumpkin head because I *love* pumpkins. But only you, Madeleine and Daddy have such nice round heads.
JULIA: But Moooooom, you have a pumpkin head too!
ME: No, not really. I have more of an oval shaped head.
JULIA: (cheerfully) Well, Mom, you have a... uh... well, Mom, should I say half a pumpkin head?

I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment