Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gymnastics class

Julia decided that we should play "gymnastics class" today, and she would be the teacher. She pulled some books out of the bookshelf for us to sit on so we would know where our spots were, and once I was in place, she was ready to give instruction.

I had expected she'd be modeling different gymnastics moves and was sort of dreading having to mimic them. But little was I prepared for what a Julia gymnastics class would involve.

"Okay, mom, here's what we do," she commanded, opening her play tool kit and handing out hammers and saws to Madeleine and I. It turns out that gymnastics class entails carrying out play construction on the living room floor, trading off tools every few minutes, and then getting an entirely new set of tools a few minutes later. I'm not sure what Julia thought she was doing in her Creative Movement class, but I can guarantee it wasn't hammering and sawing on the gym floor.

Once Julia was satisfied with our construction skills, we finally progressed to some gymnastic moves. Thankfully, I was spared the labor of having to imitate the tricks Julia modeled for us. Instead, I had to make sure Madeleine didn't break her neck as she enthusiastically threw herself into the various postures Julia was showing us.

Speaking of Madeleine, today was a typical day for her, complete with cramming her body into various spaces that aren't intended to hold a human child:





I conclude this blog post with a Madeleine quote, announced to us as she ran around the living room instead of eating her dinner:

"ARGH! ARGH! I being PIRATE!"

1 comment: