Friday, August 24, 2018

Vacation Day 3

Today we drove into the Smoky Mountain National Forest and enjoyed the stunning scenery:





We parked at Clingman's Dome and spent the afternoon hiking.  Our first endeavor was a half mile up to the Observation Tower.  It had been Madeleine's choice to start our journey by heading up there, but after several minutes of steep uphill, she was having second thoughts.

MADELEINE: Ugh, this is TIRING!
ME: You were the one who wanted to go up here.
MADELEINE: Yeah, but now I changed my mind!

She stuck it out, however, and it was worth the effort once we got to see the views from the top:




After descending the half mile, we embarked on a 2.2 mile hike through the woods.  The first 1.1 miles were a continuous downhill, which began to wreak havoc on my knees.  Madeleine gave me words of encouragement as we made our way down.

MADELEINE: You're getting better at doing this, Mommy!
ME: Thanks.
MADELEINE: It's just Ninja skills.

Throughout the entirety of our hike, Madeleine did not stop talking for one second.  I would like to thank her for keeping ususafe from bears and any other creatures who might have bern scared off by thevsound of humans.s She alternated between narrating every step of the journey and describing the various rules of Ninja moves, which she has mastered, thanks to her time playing on the big rock at her school playground.  "This is EASY level," she would announce, when she felt the trail was not up to her Ninja move standards.  "It's hard level for you, though, Mommy.'

Because of my achy knee, Ethan offered for us to turn back early, but I declined, since the kids were enjoying themselves so much.

MADELEINE: It's okay, Mommy.  We can go back if you want.  I'm certain it will be just as fun, maybe even MORE fun, going the other way!

Nevertheless, I persisted.

When we got to the official trail turning point, I led the way on the ascent.

MADELEINE: Can I go behind you, Mommy?
ME: Sure.
JULIA: No, can I go behind Mommy?
MADELEINE: But then I'll be THIRD, and I was already third on the way down!
JULIA: But I don't want to go behind Madeleine!  She wipes out too much!

As if on cue, Madeleine promptly wiped out.

We settled on an order of Julia, me, Madeleine, Ethan.  Madeleine seemingly did not care if she was stuck in third place again, as long as she got to go directly behind me.  So all was well.

After a day of activity, I think we are all going to sleep well tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment