Monday, August 6, 2018

Tic-Tac-Toe

Madeleine wanted to play Tic-Tac-Toe with me today.  I had glimpsed papers on the table earlier in the day, on which were completed Tic-Tac-Toe games with the words "Julia Wins Again!" all over them:




Therefore, I recognized the importance of Madeleine winning our game of Tic-Tac-Toe, and, like I always do, I deliberately left spots open for her to get three in a row. 

After Madeleine won, she gloated to me about her victory.

MADELEINE: I was thinking, "Mommy almost NEVER wins Tic-Tac-Toe, so I think I'm probably gonna win!"  Because Mommy?  I know that I *usually* outsmart you when we play Tic-Tac-Toe.
ME: Mmm-hmm.
MADELEINE: Yeah.  Because I *always* manage to outsmart you! (suddenly reflective) ...OR...maybe...you just let me win...
ME: (pointing at her and nodding.)
MADELEINE: (in disappointment) Aww!  Mommy, can we play again and this time you really TRY to win?
ME: No, because if both people try to win it just ends in a tie and that's boring.

Madeleine conceded my point and took her cheap victory.

All I have to say is: she really thought she was outsmarting me?!?  She actually thinks it's plausible that I'm too dense to win a game of Tic-Tac-Toe??

No comments:

Post a Comment