Thursday, July 27, 2017

What??

Tonight's swim meet was cancelled due to rain, so the girls and I decided to get take-out and make a night of it at home.  We ordered Indian food, and I didn't realize until we'd all started eating that I'd given Julia my chicken dish and I had taken hers.  Julia decided she really liked what I had ordered, so I made our swap official.

ME: Here, Julia, do you want to try any of the sauce that goes with that chicken?
JULIA: Sure.
ME: Try the mint sauce.
JULIA: (dipping a carrot into the sauce and eating it) I like it!
ME: Okay, here, you can have the whole thing of sauce.
JULIA: But can I try another sauce too?
ME: (holding out the soy sauce)
JULIA: (dipping a carrot into it and eating it) I like that one too.
ME: Here, you can have both.  I won't give you the hot chili sauce though.
MADELEINE: What won't you give Julia?
ME: Sauce.
MADELEINE: What??
JULIA AND I: Sauce.
MADELEINE: Sauce??
ME: Yes.  I gave her my mint and soy sauce.  Since Julia is eating my dinner, I figured she should have the sauce that goes with it.
MADELEINE: Julia is eating your WHAT??
ME: Julia is eating my dinner and I'm eating hers.
MADELEINE: What??  Your what??
ME: (turning to Julia in incredulity) Can Madeleine not hear or something?
MADELEINE AND JULIA, IN UNISON: What??

Okay.  This table seats 6.  We're not that far apart from each other.  I give up.


And as I am typing this...

ME: Julia, what did Madeleine first think I said when I said "sauce?"
JULIA: Mmm...I don't remember.
MADELEINE: What??  When I said what??


OMG.

No comments:

Post a Comment