Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mother's Day

Madeleine has been SO excited to give me my Mother's Day present, she has been begging to give it to me early.  And if I had known what it was, I probably would have accepted it early as well.

She even woke me up before I planned to awaken this morning to burst out, "Happy Mother's Day Mommy!  Wanna know what your present is?"  At that point Ethan scrambled over to pull her out of the bedroom.

A little bit later, when I sat down to eat some breakfast, Julia presented me with a book of poems she had written, and Madeleine was summoned to FINALLY give me her gift.

MADELEINE: Okay, Mommy, are you ready for your present??
ME: Sure!
MADELEINE: Okay.  It's...(pausing for suspense) A day of RESPECT!
ETHAN: Wait a minute.  I asked her if she was all set with a gift for you, and she said yes.  Madeleine, can I ask you something?  Do you think it's a good idea to give mom a PRESENT out of something that you should just be giving her every day out of human decency?


I mean, hey, I'll take a day of respect now rather than never, so don't blow it, Ethan!


And I have to give Madeleine credit: her behavior has actually been completely compliant today, even when it was time to get ready for church (a time at which she usually melts down crying because she NEVER gets enough time to do the things she really wants to do, like watching the next episode of whatever show she was just watching.)  In fact, she is perhaps taking things a little TOO far to the compliant side.  While we settled in to watch a family movie together, Madeleine brought all her American Girl dolls in for the viewing.

MADELEINE: (speaking to one of her dolls) Okay, Jane, if you don't want to watch this movie, you don't have to.
ME: I really think that Jane looks like her name should be "May."
MADELEINE: But doesn't she look JUST like a "Jane?"
ME: She looks like a "May" to me.
MADELEINE: Well, she looks exactly like BOTH names.  (thoughtful silence) Well, it IS Mother's Day.
ME: Honey, you don't have to change the name of your dolls just because it's Mother's Day.
MADELEINE: (visibly relieved) Okay.


Maybe I should've had her change her doll's name.  I mean, I only have the one day to get respect, right?  Gotta milk it for all it's worth!

Happy Mother's Day to my mom readers!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad she thought of such a unique gift. Maybe you should have wished for an extension for a year! No, she would have never made it! XO

    ReplyDelete