Friday, September 23, 2016

Running Wounds

Today, while I was out for a run, I somehow stumbled over the curb of a sidewalk and fell pretty hard.  Though I was able to get back up and finish my run, I am pretty scraped and cut up.  My palms are both scraped, with one bearing multiple open, bloody wounds.  My left knee is scraped open and bleeding, my left hip is mottled with road rash, as is my left shoulder. 

Here are the wildly differing reactions of the kids.

Julia's Response:
 
JULIA: What happened, Mommy??
ME: I fell on my run.
JULIA: (eyes filling with sympathy) Are you okay Mommy?
ME: I'm okay, I just got all sorts of cuts and scrapes.
JULIA: (running towards me) Come on, Mommy, I'll put band-aids on everything for you.
ME: It's okay, honey, I've gotta clean the scrapes up first.  I can put the band-aids on.
JULIA: Are you sure??  I can help you if you need it!



Madeleine's Response:

ME: Madeleine, I have to tell you what happened to me.
MADELEINE: (running off ahead of me, not bothering to listen)
ME: Hey Madeleine.  I wanna show you something and see if you can guess what happened.
MADELEINE: What?
ME: (showing her each wound and band-aided section of skin) Can you guess what happened?
MADELEINE: Spider bite?
ME: You think a spider bit me in all these different spots?
MADELEINE: Yeah. Did I guess right?
ME: Uh...try again.  Here, I'll give you a hint.  It happened when I was running.
MADELEINE: You fell?
ME: Yep!  Can you believe it?
MADELEINE: Oh.  I thought that you got bit by a spider!  Or maybe a butterfly.
ME: Nope.  I wiped out and got all bloody.
MADELEINE: Well Mommy.  If that happened to me, I would be CRYING.
ME: I know. I felt like I wanted to cry, because it was stinging so much.
MADELEINE: Wait a minute.  Mommy.  A *grown-up* crying!?!  Grown-ups don't cry!


I mean, could she possibly be more sympathetic?  And don't worry, she made sure to give it to me shortly afterwards.

MADELEINE: (from the potty) MOMMY!  WHY did you pick out THESE underwear on a FRIDAY??!?

Seriously.  How dare I.  Clearly, it was WAY too much to ask that she take notice of the underwear this morning when putting them on, and change them if they weren't the proper Friday underwear.  It is most definitely my fault that she only noticed at 3pm that she's been wearing the "wrong" underwear all day, and all because I laid out her clothes for school and took an educated guess on the underwear she wanted for today.  No sympathy for my fall, scorn for my desire to cry, and admonishment for picking out her non-Friday underwear on Friday.  Thank goodness I have Julia to offer to put band-aids on my wounds for me, because I obviously can't do anything right on my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment