Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Madeleine, the Flip-Flopper

Last week, the day before school started:

MADELEINE: (breaking into sobs) I don't wanna go back to schooooool!
ME: But honey, remember how much you loved kindergarten?
MADELEINE: I don't want to go!  I don't want to be in first graaaaaaade!
ME: But you get to see all your friends again!
MADELEINE: I just want to be with my family!  Now I only get to see you and Daddy two days and I wanna see you every daaaaaaaay!
ME: I know, honey, but you'll have so much fun being back with your friends.
MADELEINE: I just wanna be with my faaaaaaamily!



Friday, three days into the school year, heading into the Labor Day weekend.

MADELEINE: (breaking into sobs) I don't want it to be the weekend!  I'm gonna miss my frieeeeeeends!
ME: But honey, remember how you were sad you were going to miss your family?  Now we have three whole days all together!
MADELEINE: I just wanna be with my friends!  Three days is too looooooong not to see them!
ME: We'll have such a fun weekend.  Did you know that being with my family is my favorite thing in the whole world?
MADELEINE: But what about your friends?
ME: Well, do you wanna know who my very best friend is?
MADELEINE: Me?


Uh, I was thinking more someone my own age (hint: THE PERSON I'M MARRIED TO), but now I'm going to sound like a jerk if I tell Madeleine she's not my best friend.  Sheesh.



Tuesday morning, post-Labor Day weekend

ME: Are you excited to go to school today?
MADELEINE: I don't waaaaaant to go to schoooooooooool!  I wanna be home with my faaaaamily!


I mean.  Seriously.  I can't win.

No comments:

Post a Comment