Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Mouse Book

So, perhaps our unwanted house mouse experience this past fall had a heavy influence on Madeleine, because this is the book she took out from the media center at school today:



"Caring for Your Mouse."


It was a pet care book, and a veeeeery long one at that.  And, of course, Madeleine insisted on reading the entire thing to me for her bedtime story.  I'll tell you, I learned a lot about mice tonight.  I also learned how far my patience can be stretched when the bedtime book is going on foreeeever.

This was the best part, offering an unnecessary elongation of the page we were on:

MADELEINE: (reading) Whiskers also help a mouse to fight-
ME: to "fit."
MADELEINE: Huh?  Fit?  What does that mean?
ME: Like, to fit into something, or through something.
MADELEINE: Huh?  I don't get it.  What do you mean?
ME: Like, so, do you fit in your pajamas?
MADELEINE: (befuddled silence)
ME: Okay.  What does it mean if a mouse can fit through something?
MADELEINE: Uh...like...it's not TOUCHING anything?
ME: Mmm, not really.  Okay.  Here's another example.  Can you fit through the crack underneath your door?
MADELEINE: Yes.
ME: No.  What??  No.  You're telling me you can fit underneath the crack of your door?
MADELEINE: Yes.
ME: Look at your door.  Can you fit underneath the crack between the door and the floor?
MADELEINE: Uh...oh, THAT door?  No.  I can't.
ME: Can a mouse fit under it?
MADELEINE: Yes.
ME: So that's what "fit" means.

I can't even comprehend how she suddenly thinks she doesn't understand the meaning of that word.  And apparently she was thinking of that *other* door under which she can fit. 


The story took so long that I told Madeleine I would only stay and cuddle her for a quick few minutes.  Luckily, she squandered the opportunity further by deciding to yap at me and not fall asleep while I actually was there.

She had really important things to talk about, I guess, like this:


MADELEINE: Mama?  The movie "Minions" should have come out FIRST, because Gru-
ME: Wait, you've seen "Minions?" When?
MADELEINE: In ConNADicut!
ME: Aww.  I wanted to rent it sometime and watch it with you!
MADELEINE: I'm sorry, Mama.
ME: (making a pretend sad face)
MADELEINE: Well, look on the bright side, Mama!  You still have two wonderful daughters!

Can't argue with her there.

No comments:

Post a Comment