Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Music Critiques, and A New Game

While Julia was at school, I decided to put on a CD to play in the background while Madeleine and I were hanging out at home.  Lately, Madeleine is quick to give her opinion, whether it be positive or negative, on whatever music I happen to choose.

For instance, when I put on "Symphony Hall," the instrumental classical station on Sirius radio, in the car recently, Madeleine protested.

MADELEINE: Mama!  I want music with WORDS!


Or, she may say something like this:

MADELEINE: Mama!  I don't want GROWN-UP music!
JULIA: (with authority) Maaadeleine.  This isn't GROWN-UP music.  It's called CLASSICAL music.


Or, when I recently put on a Jethro Tull album, which began with an extended instrumental prelude, Madeleine was suddenly a fan of my music without words.

MADELEINE: Hey Mama!  I really like this classical music!


It turns out that when I put on my background CD at home, however, Madeleine was REALLY not digging the grown-up music, even though it DID have words.  Apparently she was just NOT in the mood for classical choral music.

MADELEINE: Mama!  I don't WANT this music!
ME: Well, I do.  I really like it.
MADELEINE: But Mama.  I don't LIKE classful music.
ME: You don't like classful music?  Well, this is CLASSICAL music.
MADELEINE: No.  Mama.  It ISN'T.  I don't like CLASSFUL music.
ME: Well, classical music is a great thing to listen to.  Classical music is supposed to be good for childrens' brains.  It will make you smarter!
MADELEINE: Well Mama.  I don't WANT to be smarter.

Well.  She showed me.  So there.


At any rate, she wasn't into my classful music, but she sure WAS into loud and rowdy pretend-play once Julia got home from school.  In fact, Madeleine was SO excited to be with her sister that she wound up driving Julia up the wall with her insistence on initiating various made-up games.


MADELEINE: Julia!  Come on!  Let's play TWIRLING CAPES and you TWIRL it like THIS!
JULIA: I don't WANT to, Madeleine.  I'm GALLOPING.
ME: Julia, honey, Madeleine really missed you today, and she's been waiting all day to play with you, so do you think you can just play a game with her for a few minutes?
JULIA: But Mommy, all her games are just BORING BABY GAMES!
ME: Well, why don't you come up with a game you will both like?

This prompted the following domineering Big Sister/servile Little Sister conversation.

JULIA: Okay, Madeleine, I'll play a game with you, but only if I get to make up ALL THE RULES.
MADELEINE: (jubilant) Okay!  You can make up the rules!

A few moments later, I heard Julia setting up her game and describing it to her sister.

JULIA: Okay.  It's called "Magnolia," and what you have to do is try and jump over a bunch of different things.

Wow.  Now THAT sounds like a thrilling game.  And wouldn't you know it, they both had a ball playing it, even if Madeleine did occasionally forget what the game was called.

MADELEINE: But Julia.  What's the NAME of this game?
JULIA: (wearily) I toooold you already, Madeleine.  It's called "MAGNOLIA."

Here are some thrilling action shots of the girls playing "Magnolia":


The various obstacles, set up for jumping over.

This is HIGH STAKES, folks.


Julia made it over the first obstacle.  But will she clear the pumpkin??


Almost there!  All that's left is to get over that pink Croc.  Can she do it??


Hurrah!  Julia finishes off the "Magnolia" course and makes it to the final stop, the pillow!


Madeleine takes a turn.

This game literally lasted them until dinner was served.  I guess Magnolia was a hit.

Whatever gets them happily playing together is a winner in my book!

3 comments:

  1. I love classful music. You should definitely give it a try some time, it's even better than classical!

    Did Julia wear the same outfit to 1st grade two days in a row?

    Also - was it gym day yet!? I wanna know how her sneakers work out! I hope I did the right thing in getting her 13.5. The toe of the 13's just felt too smashed and I wanted these to last the year!

    I miss you Rowes so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magnolia was played last night. That's why she's in the same outfit.
      She didn't have PE today but did wear her sneakers, and loved them!

      Delete
    2. Oh okay phew! I was gonna say, that's very NOT fashionista of her! I'm glad she wore them today!

      Delete