Thursday, September 19, 2013

More from Madeleine

Last night, as Madeleine lay in her bed, with me giving her the usual bedtime snuggles, she suddenly became very quiet and still, to the point that I assumed sleep was imminent.  Just as I was feeling confident that she had settled for the night, I heard her little high-pitched voice ringing out through the darkness of the bedroom.

MADELEINE: Mama?  The commercial that has that spray that you spray on dirty clothes?  That's on my WISH LIST.  Because...I want to get it for YOU.  So you can get clothes CLEAN without putting them in the washing machine.  So, it's on my Wish List, for YOU!  So, when I get it, I will just TIP it under Julia's bed and then give it to you on your BIRTHDAY!

Wow.  Does this kid know her mother or what?  I can't think of a gift that would bring my life MORE happiness than a cleaning product. 

And while Madeleine's desire to provide me with said product is awfully sweet, I suspect her REAL motive is to make it possible to wear her polka dot dress EVERY SINGLE DAY without need for it going into the washing machine on the off days.

Speaking of the polka dot dress, today was a balmy 80 degrees, so - Hallelujah! - Madeleine FINALLY got to wear her favorite dress to school.  And was she happy about it?  Nope!  Today she wanted to wear her chickie shirt and her heart shorts that she had worn yesterday.  If only we had that spray, all would have worked out, but instead she had to wail in lamentation, "But Mama, I'm just TIRED of having a WASHING MACHINE!" 

Madeleine had something else to wail about later in the day.  As I walked in the door, arriving home early from work, Madeleine burst into tears at the sight of her mommy, because she really wanted to play with her beloved baby-sitter longer.  After I finally assured the sitter that she could actually just pry off Madeleine's vice grip around her legs and go, I was subject to some extremely loving praise from my younger daughter.

MADELEINE: Mama!  I just want you to GO AWAY!  I don't LIKE you, Mama!
JULIA: (worried) Madeleine!  Do we say that?  NO!  That's not a nice thing to say!  (to me) Mommy, don't worry, I know she loves you.  (to her sister) MADELEINE!  SAY YOU'RE SORRY!
MADELEINE: (running to the couch to hide herself under a fleece blanket) I have a MEAN mommy!  My mommy always says "No" about EVERYTHING!

I mean, I was nearly BOWLED OVER by these beautiful compliments.  Just what every mother longs to hear!  Am I a lucky lady or what?

So, basically, I just let the tantrum run its course and completely ignored the waterworks.  Later on, when Madeleine was over it, I attempted to discuss her comments with her.

ME: So why am I a mean mommy?
MADELEINE: Awww!  (hugging me) You're not a mean mommy, you're a NICE mommy!
ME: But then why did you say I was mean?
MADELEINE: Well...because...I got a little CONFUSED.  I got a MISTAKE.  (silent, contemplative)  Mama?  I thought you were a VAMPIRE.  That's why I thought you were mean.

Ohhhh.  I totally get it now.  I mean, if she thought I was a vampire, then it's no WONDER why she thought I was so mean.  I guess maybe I have to work on looking a little more alive and a little less blood-thirsty so Madeleine won't get mixed up again.

3 comments:

  1. I guess she hasn't forgotten about her birthday present under Julia's bed yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, Madeleine spent so much time and energy to not be left out, gathering all the goodies, and then, she still felt let out!!! How crazy is that? XOXO, Love my girls, and boy, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, The above comment was supposed to speak to the Trip to the Dentist! Will Yiayia ever get it right?

    ReplyDelete