Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Conversations

Some of the various tidbits Julia has shared about school lately:

#1

JULIA: Mom?  So, at school, we were talking about FEELINGS, and we all had to name different kinds of feelings.
ME: And what did you say?
JULIA: I said ANXIOUS.

Of course she did.  After all, it's one of her most familiar feelings; poor kiddo!



#2

JULIA: So Mom, today I got two Instant Stickers!
ME: Great!  What did you get them for?
JULIA: For doing what I was SUPPOSED to be doing.
ME: And what was it you were supposed to be doing?
JULIA: Writing in our daily journal.  We had to write about our favorite character.
ME: Let me guess.  You chose Hermione Granger??
JULIA: (breaking into a broad smile) Yesssss!
ME: What did you write about her?
JULIA: Well, I don't really KNOW why I love Hermione Granger so much, I just really really love her, so, like, I just wrote: "My favorite character is Hermione Granger because she follows ALL the RULES."

Just like someone else I know, who happened to earn two Instant Stickers for that very thing.


#3

JULIA: For our daily journal, we have to copy the words that are on the Smart Board, then WRITE something about it.
ME: What were today's words?
JULIA: It was "my family is..."
ME: And what did you write?
JULIA: I wrote: "my family is mostly all Greek.  My dad isn't, but my mom and my sister and me are."

(Now, granted she and Madeleine are only 25% Greek, but, hey, we Griks take pride in any aspect of our Grikness!)


And finally, a conversation I had with Madeleine this evening after I sang to her at bedtime:

MADELEINE: Mama?  What does it mean that someone can't HEAR?
ME: Well, what are you thinking of?
MADELEINE: On "Little Bill" there's a girl and her name is ANGELA and Little Bill says she can't HEAR.
ME: Well, in that case, that means that her ears don't work right, so she can't hear any sounds.  When someone can't hear, it's called being deaf. 
MADELEINE: So if someone is deaf, that means they don't have any EARS?
ME: No, people who are deaf have ears, it's just that their ears don't work right, so they can't hear people talking, or noises, or music.
MADELEINE: Well Mama.  I get mixed up with...with...with...(repeatedly touching her eyes)
ME: With what it's called when your eyes don't work?
MADELEINE: Yes.
ME: When your eyes don't work, that's called being blind.  If someone is totally blind, they can't see anything at all.  Everything is just blackness, even when their eyes are open, because they can't see anything.
MADELEINE: Well, I'm only black to my FACE, because...I can't SEE my own FACE, so my face looks BLACK to me.  I can only see OTHER peoples' faces.

As usual, Madeleine hits the nail on the head and shows off her stunningly solid grasp of the way the world works.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! A gaggle of Greeks! That's so cute. I sure hope Julia knows that she can also use the words enthusiastic, compassionate, hopeful, tender and delighted! XOXO, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia is just so precious I can't even stand it and Madeleine is just such a kookoohead I don't even have words for it.

    ReplyDelete