Friday, July 26, 2013

Songs and Sayings

In the continuing story of Julia: the Composer, we have yet another original song by our young tune-smith, one that is currently getting stuck in the heads of the rest of us Rowe household members.  The inspiration for this song, according to the composer, was simple: it just came into her head one day when she was taking a shower, and from that point on, it became her go-to singing-in-the-shower song.  Now Julia has expanded this song to regular old around-the-house singing as well, to the point that even Madeleine can sing it.

I had thought the opening words of the song are "I say good-bye Mama, I say good-by Dada," but Julia corrected me.  It's actually "A sick-a-bye Mama, a sick-a-bye Dada" (I'm not sure how the composer would spell this, but I'm giving a phonetic transcription of how she pronounced it to me.)  You may be wondering what those lyrics even mean.  In Julia's own words: "Mama?  I don't even KNOW what a sick-a-bye IS.  It just sounded like what the words should BE."

It's as if a poetic muse took possession of her body while in the shower, driving these mellifluous nonsense words out of her mouth.

Here is Julia performing her song, somewhat reluctantly, because she felt camera-shy:




Before I knew it, Madeleine was singing it, and decided to come up with her own additional lyrics as I attempted to video her:




Julia really enjoyed Madeleine's lyrics change.


And in other ongoing blog themes, let's turn to the topic of "Madeleine Says Random Things."

Scenario #1: Madeleine on the potty while I try to ask her what she wants for snack once she's off the potty.

ME: Madeleine, do you want some snack?
MADELEINE: (bouncing on the potty with excitement) Yes!  Yessy-yes!  Yes!
ME: Okay.  What do you want?
MADELEINE: (putting her hands together as if in prayer)
ME: What do you want for snack, honey?
MADELEINE: (dissatisfied with my failure to understand her sign language) Mama.  It's hard to tell you by just putting my two hands together to look like a GRANOLA BAR.


Scenario #2: Madeleine eating breakfast with Auntie Shannon, who is here for a brief visit.

MADELEINE: My bagel is giving me EAR FREEZE!

I wonder if her bagel would be classified as "delicia-rotten" the way ice cream is when it gives her brain freeze.


Scenario #3: Madeleine wanting Auntie Shannon to turn herself into a play structure.

MADELEINE: Auntie Shannon?  Can you make your little...uh, your WHOLE BIG BODY into a little HOLE so I can crawl in it?

And that's how this picture came to be:


No comments:

Post a Comment