Sunday, July 28, 2013

Julia's NEW New Obsession

Can anyone guess what Julia's latest obsession is?  Here are a few of her recent drawings and art projects, to give you a hint:





Now, can you jump out on a limb and risk a guess as to who she wants to be for Halloween?  All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't cave and buy her an Emily Binx night-gown costume when she was in the midst of her "Hocus Pocus" obsession.

Gone are the days of shrines to Emily Binx and endless "Hocus Pocus" pictures.  Now it's all "Harry Potter" and, more specifically, Hermione Granger.  Julia goes around all day mooning over Hermione like a love-sick teenager.

Sometimes she just sits around repeatedly sighing, "Ahhhh, Hermione.  Hermione Granger."

Other times, she tells the world's least obvious and most hilarious knock-knock joke:

JULIA: Knock-knock!
US:  Who's there?
JULIA: Hermione!
US: Hermione who?
JULIA: Hermione Granger.  Who ELSE would it be??

And throughout the day, she reminds me - JUST IN CASE I forget - that she wants to be Hermione for Halloween.  She also makes sure to tell EVERYONE we see, from her swim teachers to her camp counsellors to her school friends and to everyone in between.  "I already know what I'm going to be for Halloween!  HERMIONE GRANGER!"

Seeing as she ALREADY already knew what she was going to be for Halloween back in the Emily Binx days, she hasn't entirely convinced me to buy her a Hermione costume any time soon.  We'll see if she is still Hermione-obsessed in a few months.

Madeleine thinks she wants to be Simba for Halloween, so I guess she's serious about wanting to turn into a boy some day.  However, Madeleine is less Halloween obsessed at the moment, and more just plain creep-factor obsessed.  She was afraid to go up to her room and get her outfit this morning, because she's scared of the darkness when her light is off.

ETHAN: Yeah, but Madeleine, let's think about this.  The light is off, but you know what's in your room.  So what's in there?  Your dresser.  Your bed.  Your books.  What else is in there?
MADELEINE: Uh...uh...
ETHAN: Is there anything scary in there?  Your toys are in there.  Your air conditioner is in there.  Cowie is in there.
MADELEINE: And...and then some creepy, bumpy EYES!

Ah, yes.  Those too.  No big deal, there's just some creepy, bumpy eyes in her room along with her toys and books.

Speaking of creepy, I was cleaning the downstairs rooms today and as I waded through papers on the art table, I found this Madeleine drawing:


A bunch of floating ghoul heads coming out of an orange rectangle.  With some cryptic symbolic writing up top.

I feel scared.

2 comments:

  1. Haha - I was going to say "I see a change in Halloween costumes coming!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although with Auntie Shannon in Boston there's still a chance the Hocus Pocus obsession can resurface!

      Delete