Monday, July 29, 2013

And More Harry Potter

The Harry Potter obsession continues.

It's not driving any of us crazy that Julia sits around cooing, "Hermione.  Hermione GRANGER..." all day long.

This morning, Julia decided to don last Halloween's witch costume and adopt a faux British accent in order to pretend she was Hermione at Hogwart's.  Most of her game was spent in her dormitory, which allowed her to be Hermione while also laying on the couch watching morning tv:


What could add more to her British impersonation than an American flag in the hand??

Julia's version of Hermione is, I must say, a bit risqué compared to the Hermione of "The Sorceror's Stone."  For one, Hermione is apparently bedding two boys at one time.

JULIA: (in a British accent, to Madeleine) Quiet!  I'm sleeping!  You should go to sleep too.  You're in Gryffindor, you know.
MADELEINE: (obliviously carrying on with her own game)
JULIA: Shhhh!  I'm Hermione, and I'm in my own bed.  Harry and Ron are in here with me, too.

I guess there's no separate girls dorm and boys dorm in Julia's game.  Harry and Ron seem perfectly content to pig-pile into Hermione's bed with her.

JULIA: Mama?  Harry and Ron didn't want to sleep on the FLOOR, so they're BOTH sleeping in my bed with me!

And then, as if the bed-sharing wasn't enough, Julia and I had the following conversation:

JULIA: Mama, I'm so glad I know how to speak with an English accent.
ME: Yeah, you do a pretty good job of it.
JULIA: Why?  Do some people NOT know how to do it?
ME: Yeah, it's hard for some people.
JULIA: (confidently) But WHY?  It's so EASY.
ME: Well, it's not always easy for everyone.
JULIA: (thoughtful) Mom.  The next time we play DOCKING DICKS, like, Jovina and I, I'm gonna be Hermione.

I wonder if Ron and Harry will be there with their own docking dicks sharing Hermione's bed once again.

When Hermione woke up from her slumber, she, Harry and Ron enjoyed a feast of pizza and fruits.  I at first thought the pizza slices were supposed to represent Harry and Ron, but, silly me, I was informed that Harry and Ron were INVISIBLE, and that the pizza slices were there for them to EAT.


Harry and Harry's pizza slice.


Ron and Ron's pizza slice.

Madeleine hasn't quite jumped on the Harry-Potter band wagon, although she does seem to perfectly enjoy watching the first movie with Julia.  However, she can't quite keep these characters straight from those of Julia's previous fantasy obsession, "The Chronicles of Prydain."

MADELEINE: (while watching "Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone") Look!  There's Hermione!  But...where's EILONWY?

Julia made sure to let Madeleine know the depth of her ignorance.

JULIA: (exasperated) Maaaaaadeleine.  There IS no Eilonwy.  This is HARRY POTTER, Madeleine.  Eilonwy is from a DIFFERENT BOOK.
MADELEINE: But where IS Elionwy?
JULIA: Maaaaadeleine.  There is NO EILONWY in this.

YEAH, Madeleine.  Get your sh*t together.

Madeleine may not be as focused on the details of the movie as Julia is, though the one thing that Madeleine definitely wants in on is the Harry Potter stick puppet play.  Yesterday, Julia made stick puppets of the three main characters, and, of course, she resolutely refuses to share them with Madeleine, which led to Madeleine making her own puppets today.  Behold, Ron Weasley, Harry Potter, and Hermione Granger, ready to be cut out and glued to popsicle sticks:


Personally, I think they look more like the Three Wise Men than the Harry Potter characters, but as long as they will satisfy Madeleine's desire to be part of the Harry Potter Puppet Show business, all is good.



No comments:

Post a Comment