Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Our future pets

So, I was teaching a piano lesson yesterday, and Julia had come along to play with the younger sibling of my student, as she does most days of the week. When she and her play-mate came up from the basement to have snack, I overheard the following conversation between Julia and my student's mother in the adjacent room:

JULIA: We don't have a dog or a cat at our house.
MRS. MOORE: We don't have a dog or a cat here, either. Do you wish you had a dog or a cat?
JULIA: No, because my Mommy is allergic to dogs and cats.
MRS. MOORE: If you did have a dog, what would you want to name it?
JULIA: Um, Boo-Boo!
MRS. MOORE: Boo-Boo! I like it! And what would you name a cat if you had one?
JULIA: Um, Boo-Boo!
MRS. MOORE: Boo-Boo and Boo-Boo? But what if you had a cat and a dog at the same time! If you said, "Sit, Boo-Boo," how would the animals know which one you were talking to?
JULIA: Okay, then I think I would name my cat Duck-Duck.
MRS. MOORE: Boo-Boo and Duck-Duck - I think those are great names!

Hang on here. This is the girl who has come up with names like Cartacarizza, Project Daddy, Treadmill, Sand, and Fauna. And now she is resorting to names like Boo-Boo and Duck-Duck?? Seriously? Though I must say, the idea of a cat named Duck-Duck is pretty amusing. And honestly, I will happily support whatever creative ideas and names float through that head of hers, but I do think the creative juices weren't flowing quite as much yesterday, especially seeing as she wasn't even motivated to come up with a different name for the cat until prompted to do so. Anyway, as Julia said, I am quite allergic to both types of animals; however, I did grow up with both a dog and cats in my household so who knows if pets are completely ruled out. If we ever wind up with a Boo-Boo or a Duck-Duck at our house, I will be sure to post pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment