Monday, March 16, 2020

Home Schooling

Okay, so I'm gonna lose my mind if we don't have some structure to our weekdays and things just descend into a free fall, so today I did school with my kids.

Here's how school worked.  First, last night, I had both kids type up their schedules from a regular school day.  Then I implemented some form of each subject to the best of my ability.

We started with Morning Work/Advisory (a combination of both kids' first activity in their school day.)  I gave them a discussion question to write an answer to, and they both fell into deep silence as they wrote:



Things descended a bit from there.  Ethan needed me to re-up our grocery supplies so I spent a bunch of time at two different stores trying to find anything at all.  Most everything was out of stock, but I spent a hefty $300 and I'm not even sure what I spent it on.

The girls were instructed to do online math while I was shopping.  I got these texts from Julia while in my mayhem of the supermarkets:



So, as you can see, math went really great.

After I was home, it was time for band.  This was relatively easy for me.  I had Madeleine run through her own music in her room, and I played along with Julia as she rehearsed her own Wind Ensemble and band music.

Next was P.E.  We went outside for a run, all of us running whatever length we could, and getting some much needed fresh air.  Afterwards, it was lunch and "recess," which meant varying things for the kids.  Julia watched an episode of tv, while Madeleine played in her room.

MADELEINE: So, does recess mean we can do WHATEVER we want to do?
ME: Uh, sure.
MADELEINE: (leaping off with delight)

After lunch was Writing Time for Madeleine and Social Studies/Music/ELA for Julia.  I had her read a chapter from my college Music History book.  She recorded any vocabulary words she didn't know, and we went over them after she finished the chapter.  Then we had a discussion on the earliest known written music in our current calendar.  We discussed the social and religious implications of this music, then listened to recordings of Gregorian chant.

Next was silent reading, followed by some online science for Julia and Duolingo (in lieu of Spanish class) for Madeleine.

Our "school" day wrapped up at 2:30.

MADELEINE: So, wait, that's IT for school?  Like, only three hours?  Like a half day?
ME: Honey, we started at 9.  It's been almost as long as a regular school day.
MADELEINE: Wait. Did our RUN count?
ME: Yeah. That was PE!
MADELEINE: Wait, and LUNCH counted?
ME: Well,  you have lunch in your school day, don't you?
MADELEINE: (delighted) OH!  Okay.  Then can I watch tv?

Tomorrow is another day.  We'll see how long my gusto for "schooling" my children lasts.  One day at a time in this bizarro land we're living in, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment