Friday, June 15, 2018

Weekend Journal

Madeleine took home a box of classwork today, including her weekend journal.  I got a chance to see what she really thinks of our weekends, especially those including extended family.  She had lots to say about lots of relatives, including the Swoffords:


"Over the weekend, I finished the Charlie Brown puzzle.  Shannon should have finished it, but she left some for me.  It was so sweet!  Me and Julia have a new cousin!  He was born yesterday (I think unnexpectidley.)  I think his name is Owen.  He's soooooooo adorable!"

First of all, Caitlyn's loooooong hospital stay and arduous labor were definitely not unexpected, although perhaps Madeleine is referring to the fact that her cousin (whose name she thinks is Owen) was born earlier than his due date.  Second of all, how is the information about a puzzle the FIRST thing she wrote about, rather than her new cousin!??


Up next, she has more to say about Owen, but apparently Auntie Caitlyn's dog is the real star of the show:

"Over Thanksgiving weekend, I went to Charlotte, NC (North Carolina.)  We met Owen for the first time!  I got a brand new best friend.  He's my aunty's and uncle's dog.  Ollie!  We call him Ol Pol.  The day after we got back, we got our Christmas tree!  I was determined to get the first tree we liked.  It was so beautiful!  We got that tree and some new ornaments to."

Good thing she clarified what NC means.  I'm not sure the "Charlotte" part would have most people certain that NC stands for North Carolina.


Speaking of the Swoffords from NC, they came up to our house for Easter, and Madeleine was quick to reveal Uncle Chad's pet name, given him by Auntie Caitlyn:
                                                
Yep.  Now Madeleine's teacher knows that Auntie Caitlyn calls Uncle Chad "Noodle."  Because why not share family intimacies like that?


Madeleine has some things to say about coming to hear Ethan and I sing with our quartet, as well.

"Sunday was awesome!  I went to my mom and dad's Vermillion concert.  But it was'nt any old concert - Louisa came!  (Or as I call her, 'Lousy.')  We had a wonderful time.  Lousy and I sang the songs with them that were in English. (because most of them were in Latin.)  It was great."

So Lousy makes an appearance in the journals!  Another memorable Vermillion performance was one she attended with Nana and Gramps:

                                               
"This weekend was AWESOMELY AMAZING!!!!!!!!  Nana and Gramps (from Vermont) came over for 2 days.  We watched Moana and Wonder.  We had tons of fun!  Nana, Gramps,  Julia and I all went to Mommy's and Daddy's Vermillion concert.  It was the best one yet!  I might even start actually paying attention at the upcoming concerts!"

Oh, how flattering!  She might actually start paying attention to us.  Instead of playing "Happy Jump" on Auntie Shannon's phone the whole time.

Another fun Nana and Gramps weekend was when they came to her swim "meat":


                                               
"Friday through Sunday my grandparents (Nana and Gramps) came to our house.  They watched us at mine and Julia's swimmeat.  It was fun!  Nana and Gramps came for an early Christmas.  The early presents I got were two books.  Owls in the Family and How to Spank a Porcupine?  Me and Julia got one big present to share.  It was the game Klask!  Everyone loves it."


And then there are the visits from Yiayia:

"I loved vacation.  My greek grandmother (who we call Yiayia and is Mommy's mom) came for Christmas.  We had a lot of fun.  But Yiayia had scabes so we had to air hug each other.  We all had so much fun on Christmas and at Christmastide.  I love the holidays!"

Well, now not only does Madeleine's teacher know that Chad is "Noodle," but also the deeply personal fact that Yiayia had scabies.  That's something definitely appropriate to share in a school journal.


Finally, speaking of Greek, Madeleine wrote a journal entry about figuring out some of the Greek words, written in the Greek alphabet, in our church choir book:

"I pretty much just stayed home and relaxed over the weekend.  It was the normal routine: relaxe on Saturday, church, relaxe, then swim on Sunday.  But church was special!  A few weeks ago, I read this Greek word: ἡμῶν . (EE-mone.)  I don't remember what it means, and I don't remember how to write it.  I just did my best!  Every Sunday I read a new Greek word.  Actually, many more!  Now I'm sounding  out big words!  Non-random words!  I LOVE reading Greek words!  I started getting a cold.  I'm feeling pretty queezy today, but Mommy and Daddy said I don't have a fever.  So I might, just might have to go home early today."

For the record, ἡμῶν means "our."  And I love how Madeleine kind of threw Ethan and I under the bus a little bit by saying that she felt horrible but we made her go to school since she didn't have a fever.  I do know for a fact that she did not go home early that day, though, so I guess she started feeling a little less queezy.

There is so much more shared throughout her weekend journal and I sure hope Madeleine's teacher enjoyed getting a very intimate glimpse into the lives of the Rowes and their extended relatives!


No comments:

Post a Comment