Sunday, November 20, 2016

Amaricin Girl

The latest American Girl catalog came in the mail yesterday, which means it's time for the kids to make their own American Girl catalogs.  Rather than picking out things from the real catalog that they want to add to their Christmas list, the girls instead seem to get creative with their own doll ideas every time a new catalog comes.  You may remember Julia's hand-made American Girls with Disabilities catalog from last month, or various other dolls the girls have drawn over the years.  Today Madeleine embarked on a brand new American Girl doll idea: a pet orca!

Amaracin Girl Fall Catalog!

This catalog features "Girl of the year!" Adara and her gray orca buddy.  I always thought orcas were black and white, but apparently not THIS particular orca.  I decided to ask Madeleine about this.

ME: Can you tell me about this orca?
MADELEINE: It's a DOLPHIN I'm pretending it is.
ME: Oh.  How come you wrote "Orca" on here?
MADELEINE: I'm *pretending* it's a dolphin that Adara named "Orca."
ME: What made you want to make that?
MADELEINE: Because I love dolphins.
ME: Can you tell me more about Adara and her dolphin?
MADELEINE: Yeah.  Soooo...Adara reeeeeally wants to sign up for a dolphin riding team.
ME: Where does Adara live?
MADELEINE: In the OLDEN days!  She lives in Atlanta because her dolphin riding team is in the Atlantic Ocean, but they built this thing...this wall...so they could only go to the shallowest parts, and the medium parts.  'Cause they didn't want it to be so deep that you would just go on and on and on and just be like, "Oh My God!" and then, like, DROWN.
ME: Does the Adara doll come with a dolphin?
MADELEINE: Yeah!

Okay.  Well now I understand why "Orca" is gray.  Also, I wonder how Adara gets to the Atlantic Ocean if she lives in Atlanta.  That's not particularly near the coast, after all.  Furthermore, if she lives in Atlanta in the olden days, I would think she was more involved in helping run her family's slave plantation than in dolphin riding.  But I guess in the world of American Girls, anything is possible.

Madeleine is already acting out her own dolphin riding fantasy around the house.  I guess, in this case, though, she's using a stuffed orca that she's PRETENDING is a dolphin that she's PRETENDING she named "Orca":

Adara and Orca, the dolphin.

No comments:

Post a Comment