Saturday, August 20, 2016

The Bunnies

We were sitting out on our back deck having dinner this evening when one of the bunnies who frequent our yard came hopping out of the woods.  As you may have read in previous posts, the girls are very attached to our bunny visitors and have even given them names. 

JULIA: Look!  It's Lily!
ME: Lily??
JULIA: Yeah!  Right there!
MADELEINE: Oh, yeah!  See!
ME: No, I know, but there's a Lily now?  I thought the bunnies were Leila and Lola.
JULIA: They are!  We have Leila, Lola, Lily, and April!

I mean, I remember April, because Julia and Madeleine fought over whether the newest bunny should be named April or Fluff-Fluff.  But I didn't realize we have a Lily as well.  Also, with names Like Leila, Lola, and Lily, why on earth were the girls arguing between April and Fluff-Fluff for Bunny #4?  Shouldn't they have gone with Lulu??

And on another note, how the heck can they tell which bunny is which?  They all look exactly the same to me.

Anyway, I am apparently less tolerant of the bunny in the yard than the girls are.

ME: Oh, great, it's eating our plants.
JULIA: (looking at me reproachfully) Mommy, would you want it to STARVE?
ME: I'm not saying it has to starve, but it doesn't need to eat our plants.
JULIA: But it needs dinner.
ME: Fine, it can eat any weeds it wants, I don't care, but it's eating from our garden.
MADELEINE: Come ON, Mommy. those are just the plants by the WOODS.  It's not going in the front garden.
JULIA: Well, sometimes I see the bunnies go into the front garden.
ME: Yeah, I know they go in there, because I see bite marks on our plants.  And I'm not happy about it.  Maybe we have to make our yard a bunny-free zone.
MADELEINE: (looking at me in alarm, face falling)
JULIA: (lowering her gaze) That's MEAN.
MADELEINE: (face brightening) Maybe we can make them their OWN area!

Oh, boy.  The bunnies already have names and eat our plants.  We're getting closer by the day to adopting them as true Rowe household pets, if the kids have anything to say about it!


1 comment: