Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Cassia

Chapter 1 from Julia's newest book, Cassia

(Dedication: For my cousins)


Chapter 1: "Disaster At the Dinner Party"

"My name is Cassia L'Quin.  I am 12 years old, and live in a little cottage in the heart of the woods.  I have an older sister named Hazel, who is 15.  I am a small, scrawny girl who looks about 10.  I have caramel colored hair, freckles, violet eyes, and long lashes.  When people come to visit, they stare at Hazel, while only merely glance at me.  Although, Hazel is not the smartest.  Ask her a question and she'll just stare at you blankly.  Although we were home schooled, Hazel never took her studies seriously, as I did.  What a shame.

Papa sat in the arm chair, reading the daily news, while Hazel gazed in the mirror at her new silk frock.  I sat on the couch, accompanying Mama with her sewing.  I gazed out the window, looking at the wintry twilight, snow softly falling outside.  'I don't find I look rather appealing in this dress,'  Now, Hazel had been yammering on about her new dress all day, so I was rather annoyed at this point.  'No, you don't  And you never will.'  I retorted.  Hazel glared at me.  I glared back.  For no reason.  Then I gathered my things and went upstairs to my room.  My room is very cozy.  It has a cozy bed and fireplace, with a bureau and a book shelf, and a closet for my frocks.  Just then, Mama rapped on the door.  'Cassia, get ready for Cousin Ava and Cousin Avianna's dinner party.'  I had forgotten all about it.  'Okay!' I called.  I took my best calico dress out of the closet and put it on.  Papa couldn't afford a silk dress for me, too.  Hazel always gets everything.  Have enough for a new sun hat or bonnet, Hazel gets it.  I went downstairs and fixed my hair until I looked presentable.  Hazel did the same.  She looked beautiful.  Her strawberry blonde hair tumbled down her back.  'The wagon's in the front.  Is everyone ready?' Papa asked.  'Yes!  I guess we are as ready as we could ever be,' Hazel told Papa reluctantly.  We walked outside and climbed into the wagon, Papa driving, Hazel and I inside, Mama at the rear.  'Do you think I look good enough?' Hazel inquired as we started the long drive into town.  'If you didn't look good,' I began, 'then someone would have told you that you look dreadful.'  Hazel looked pleased with that remark.  Finally, we arrived.  Our cousins Ava and Avianna are beautiful creatures with shiny black hair, big, round, blue eyes and pale skin, their hair, like every girl in our family, is curly and tumbled down their backs.  Ava and Avianna are twins of 13, and, frankly, are quite rich.  'Cassia!  Hazel!' Ava cried.  'Hi Ava!  Hi Avianna!' I said.  'Come in!  Come in!  There's food and drinks and everything,' Avianna told us.  We stepped inside.  Mama went off to go find Auntie Amina.  I went over to the food table when someone tapped me on the shoulder.  I turned around to see 7-year-old cousin Amanda and 5-year-old cousin Alisyn.  They are Ava and Avianna's younger sisters.  'I like your dress, Cassia.  It's more lovely than mine,' Alisyn complimented me.  'Thanks, Alley!  I love your dress,' I replied.  Amanda and Alisyn smiled and walked away. I decided to go say hello to Auntie Amina.  My search was easy enough. I walked right into her.  'Cassia!  Darling! How good to see you!' she exclaimed.  'It is so good to see you too, Auntie dear,' I replied with grace, just as my aunt.  Auntie Amina, Amanda, and Alisyn all have fiery red hair that simply sparkles in the sun.  'What a beautiful dress, Auntie!' I remarked.  'Why thank you, Cassia dear,' Auntie Amina said.  'Now, I've got to find your Uncle Andrew.  He went to the outhouse ages ago and never came back!'  As I walked away, one of the Newman's (my uncle's last name) servants came in, carrying a large tray of an assortment of appetizers.  I could not look, as Alisyn ran straight into the servent girl, in attempt to get away from Avianna.  The tray flew up into the air and all of the appetizers with it.  Avianna, Uncle Andrew (finally found), Amanda, Alisyn, Hazel, Mama and Papa, the other guests, and I all slipped under tables.  Ava and Auntie Amina weren't so lucky.  Food landed all over them.  I heard Ava cry out, 'Oh, what a disaster!'


If you're intrigued, readers, contact the author for a sneak peek at chapter two!
Also, if I'd had twins instead of just Julia, I definitely would have named them Julia and Julianna.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Uncle Andrew's servants have names that begin with A too.

    ReplyDelete