Saturday, April 23, 2016

Music in the Car

On our drive to and from a family friend's birthday party today, we Rowes listened to one of the "Music Together" CDs that we own.  The kids always love singing along to the songs and frequently request repeats of a certain track.

On the return trip, the song "My Ball" came on.  This song is in a mixed meter, which can basically be described as 123 12 12, 123 12 12 (3+2+2).  The lyrics to this song include: My ball is big and round, I'm rolling it on the ground and My ball is big and blue, I'm rolling it right to you. 

Near the end of the song, during the rhythmic 3+2+2 drum beats, Ethan decided to make up his own lyrics, but he BLEW IT big time.

ETHAN: My ball is big and - ARRRGHHH!  SHOOOT!

Luckily, he had the chance to try again during the next drum cycle.

ETHAN: My ball is red and square, I can't roll it anywhere.


This led to all sorts of new lyrics by the kids.

JULIA: My ball is small and orange, I'm rolling it on the florange!

MADELEINE: (completely out of time with the drum beats) My ball is small and...mmm...My ball is medium and yeh-eh-eh-low, I'm...I'm...I'm...

Julia had enough of her sister's indecisiveness and decided to fill in for her:

JULIA: My ball is medium and yellow, I rolled it into a cello, and into a bowl of jello, and it made my mom feel so mellow!

I still think, despite his initial screw-up, that Ethan won the impromptu lyric-off.

1 comment: