Saturday, August 31, 2013

Birthday!

So it's the big old 35 for me today!  Time simply moves too quickly these days.

This is the generous, loving birthday greeting I received from Madeleine upon coming downstairs this morning.

ME: Hi girls!
JULIA: Hi Mommy.  Happy birthday!
MADELEINE: (silence)
AUNTIE CAITLYN: Madeleine, can you give Mommy a "happy birthday" hug?
MADELEINE: Uh, no.  Because...birthday hugs are BORING.

Despite her disinterest in the hug, Madeleine was definitely invested in my birthday presents.  Both girls were eager to shower me with gifts this morning, though I suggested we wait until Ethan was out of the shower so he could be part of the celebration.

MADELEINE: But Mama.  Why do we need DADDY for you to open your presents?
ME: Well, because I think he'd like to be here when I open them.
MADELEINE: Here Mama.  I'll be Daddy.  I'm sitting here in Daddy's chair, so let's just pretend that I'm Daddy so you can open your presents.

Even though Madeleine pulled off her role as Ethan like a pro, I still opted to wait until the REAL Ethan could join us.

In the meantime, Madeleine was busy thinking about whether or not my having a birthday would be of any benefit to her at all.

MADELEINE: But Mama?  When it's YOUR birthday, does EVERYONE get a piece of cake?

I assured her that yes, indeed, she would get to partake in my birthday cake consumption.

As Ethan finished up his shower and the present-opening time grew imminent, Madeleine decided she simply couldn't hold out any longer and announced to me what my gift from her was.

MADELEINE: Well Mama.  When you open this, you're gonna see your DINOSAUR DOLL.  Because...that's what is IN here.  It's a DINOSAUR DOLL on your picture.

She wasn't kidding:


That's a pretty awesome dinosaur doll.  According to Madeleine, the non-dinosaurs in this picture are me (smiling) and herself (zombie-like creature with bared teeth looking like she's about to hunt down her unsuspecting, smiling mother.)

This one's a keeper, all right.


Julia, as usual, had made me multiple cards, pictures, and books, including this lovely card:


And a newly written book:

ME: Ohhh!  Eva Momolin and her baby sister!
JULIA: Moooom!  It's Eva MCMULLIN!
ME: Oh. Oops.


I also became the honored recipient of "Harry Potter and the Frist Year Wich," despite its having been an established part of our household home-made book collection for some time now.  On top of that, Julia drew me two pictures: one of a blue rose (my favorite flower), and one of a rainbow colored heart.  Was I spoiled, or was I spoiled??

Julia even had to give herself a congratulatory pat on the back.  Sitting down on the couch, she let out a great sigh and remarked, "Whew.  I really OUTDID myself this time!"

Ethan and I took the kids to the Museum of Science for a fun family afternoon, and the girls enjoyed themselves so greatly that Madeleine couldn't handle about leaving.  There were intermittent tears during our entire walk through the museum exit and parking garage, because: "But I don't waaaaaaant to go hooooooome!"  I thought about chiming in with, "But I don't waaaaaaaant to be 35!  I waaaaaaaant to be 29!", but figured that would just add to the chaos.

Now my wonderful husband is setting out to cook me a birthday dinner, and the girls are happily watching "My Little Pony" as I drink a glass of California Cabernet, so life is good.  All and all it was a wonderful day spent with my favorite guy and my favorite kids in the world, so I guess turning 35 isn't all THAT bad...

Thanks to all you readers who have sent along birthday cards, emails, and greetings.  Love to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to my favorite big sister in the world! Were you sure you wanted a califyna caberny and not a margareda??

    ReplyDelete