Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hand-Me-Down Excitement

Today is a gloriously beautiful summer day:


Madeleine made sure to dress accordingly:


Like a child on Christmas morning, she discovered the various items from the storage bins in the basement that I had washed and was folding this morning, including a size 4/5 raincoat that had been Julia's (to replace Madeleine's woefully outgrown, size 2T raincoat).  She has been in and out of this rain get-up about eight times throughout the day today, lamenting the fact that there is hardly a cloud in the sky.

MADELEINE: But Mama?  When, WHEN is it gonna RAIN again??

At least by the time it DOES rain again, she will be fairly competent at putting her coat on all by herself, given the amount of practice she had today.  Sure, she is still accidentally sticking one arm in the hood, or having trouble lining up the buttons, but her skill at getting herself OUT of these pickles is quickly improving.

Madeleine was also delighted to FINALLY have her very own hooded sweatshirt.  She has been drooling over Julia's "Mount Washington" sweatshirt since last summer, asking me tearfully, over and over, "But why don't *I* have a sweatshirt with a hood like JULIAAAAA?"

So when I found a hooded Gap sweatshirt in her size while rummaging through the basement clothing bins, I threw that into the wash as well.


JULIA: Madeleine?  Do you know what your sweatshirt says?
MADELEINE: (confidently) Uh... Mount WASHINGTON.

Close.

Meanwhile, Madeleine had to spend some time out of her favorite new outerwear items today, as I needed to give her a bath.  While the tub was still filling, she complained of the water being too hot, so I turned the temperature down, then continued to fill the tub so that the cooler water would mix in.  This caused sheer and utter panic and pandemonium for both girls.  Julia, because she is apparently convinced that I'm too incompetent to prevent Madeleine from being submerged by water, becomes a freaking-out ball of anxiety ANY TIME I'm giving Madeleine a bath (JULIA: Mamaaaa!  I'm afraid you're filling it TOO HIGH!  Mamaaaaa!  Turn it off Mama!  TURN IT OFF MAMA!  It's TOO DEEEEEP!")  Today, Madeleine herself began shrieking about the depth of the water, wailing throughout the entire bath as I tried to hurriedly wash her and get her out of the tub to stop the melt-down.  I had no idea what she was crying about, and with Julia simultaneously shrieking in the doorway to the bathroom about the water being too high, I simply couldn't get a rational answer out of Madeleine.

Once I got her out and was towelling her off, however, I got to the bottom of her panic attack.

ME: Madeleine, what were you freaking out about in the tub?
MADELEINE: Uh, the water was TOO DEEP.
ME: So what are you afraid is going to happen if the water is deep??
MADELEINE: (eyes filling with tears) Uh, it's gonna cause GLOBAL WARMING!
Oh.  WELL, in that case...

Maybe she should have just worn her rain coat in the tub to protect her.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHAH she's such a cute doofus. I can see the confusion between "Mount Washington" and "GAP" - they're just a few letters off from one another!

    ReplyDelete