Sunday, February 28, 2010

More on princesses

Julia and I had the following conversation last night as she was getting ready for bed:

JULIA: Mom, why are princesses just pretend?
ME: Well, princesses are not just pretend. There really is such a thing as a princess. Princesses are real people. It's just that the Disney princesses in your movies are just cartoons. They're not real people.
JULIA: But Mom, what princesses ARE real?
ME: Well, there's a princess named Camilla Parker-Bowles.
JULIA: Oh. And Mom, what songs does SHE sing?

I tried unsuccessfully to explain to her that real princesses don't just spend their days frolicking around in beautiful dresses singing songs and cavorting with fairies. But I don't think she really got it.

In order to demonstrate just how deep her obsession with the Disney princesses is, here is a little video I initially recorded because I thought her description of her book "The Bear Detectives" was funny; the subject very quickly diverged into the story of Sleeping Beauty:

4 comments:

  1. We'd love to see it but it won't load for us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry! I had set it as "private" on you tube by mistake. I reset it - you should be able to view it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is great. "love's true kiss", that's my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHALKEHRAKLWHERAHAHHAHAHALWKEHRLKAHWELKFAHLKHWELKRHALWKHLKHA I LOVE HER SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

    She dies to sleep.

    ReplyDelete