Monday, January 28, 2019

Locker Room Book Ideas

I'm nearing the end of a really good book I'm reading, and I was in the middle of one of the last chapters while in the locker room after Madeleine's swim practice.  Madeleine had gone into the shower, but clearly still needed my attention.

MADELEINE: (from the shower) Mommy?  Now I have a NEW book idea!
ME: Mmm-hmm?
MADELEINE: (from the shower) So Mommy.  Can I tell you my new book idea?
ME: Sure.
MADELEINE:
ME: (reading)
MADELEINE: (opening the shower curtain) Are you COMING, Mommy?
ME: Oh.  You need me to come in the shower with you?
MADELEINE: (as if it's obvious) Yeah!

I then put my ear inside the shower curtain and continued to read while Madeleine chattered at me over the sound of many showers running. 

MADELEINE: And I thought of "Dyslexia Alexia."
ME: Mmm-hmm?
MADELEINE: (continuing to chatter incessantly)
ME: (reading)
MADELEINE: So can you think of any names?
ME: Mmm-hmm.
MADELEINE:
ME: (reading)
MADELEINE: So Mommy.  What ARE the names?

Uh-oh.  Busted.  I had no idea what she was talking about.

ME: Wait.  What names?
MADELEINE: Names that rhyme with DISEASES and stuff.

Wait, what?  My child wants to know names that rhyme with diseases - why?  That's a bit morbid.  I started thinking through various diseases trying to come up with a name that rhymes.  Tuberculosis.  Tetanus.  Diptheria.  Mumps.

ME: Uh, do you mean, like, diseases that can be cured or that people can live with?  Or, like, serious ones?
MADELEINE: Like, diseases or disabilities!

I suddenly remembered "Dyslexia Alexia" and started trying to think of comparable disorders.  Hearing impairment.  Myopia.  Autism.  Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.  Nope.  No names coming to mind.

I finally gave her "Diabetes Archimedes."  That was the best I could do.  And I never did get to finish my book, but there's always tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment