Sunday, May 1, 2016

Greek Easter

It's Greek Orthodox Easter!

The girls were up shortly after 6am begging to begin their household search for their hidden Easter baskets.

I had taken great pains to hide Julia's basket in a sneaky spot, inside the play-room fireplace behind the piles of cardboard box houses/schools that the girls kept stacked there.  Unfortunately, Madeleine spied the basket first.

MADELEINE: (inching closer and closer to the fireplace)
ME: Madeleine.  Come here.  Madeleine.  Come here.
MADELEINE: Oh! I found Julia's!!

Way to be subtle, Madeleine.

I then directed Madeleine into the downstairs bathroom.

ME: Madeleine, you'll find yours somewhere in the bathroom here, so look around carefully.
MADELEINE: Okay! (turning back to look at me) Uh, Mama, I hope you didn't put it in the TOILET.

Rats.  She figured me out.  The toilet is exactly the kind of place I would hide an Easter basket.

Once the girls had both found their baskets, they settled in on the rug to peruse their loot:






Both kids were excited to get new books, especially since they'll be missing media at school this week while we go on a Disney vacation.

ME: See, Julia, I told you that you'd get some books for Easter that you can take on our Florida trip.
JULIA: But wait, Mom.  I don't get it.  Does one of the books take place in Florida or something?
ME: I don't think so.  Why?
JULIA: Because you told me you guaranteed that I'd get a book to bring to Florida in my Easter basket.

Apparently that means the book must be Florida-themed, right?  Not just that she would be getting some new books that she could look forward to reading?

I then explained why I had bought them new Barbie dolls, as well, despite the multitude of Barbies we already own.

ME: I also thought you could bring your Barbies on the trip to play with.
JULIA: We're gonna bring ALL our Barbies?  How are we gonna fit them?

Sheesh, kids.  For two pretty smart girls, they can certainly take awhile to clue into the program.  Good thing Madeleine found her Easter basket in the toilet, Julia got her Florida-themed book, and the girls know they need to pack the entire Barbie houseful of dolls for our upcoming trip.

Happy Easter to all Orthodox celebrants!


No comments:

Post a Comment