Saturday, July 12, 2014

Emily Cole, 1944

Julia has decided to write YET ANOTHER historical book about an American Girl-like character.  This one appears to be strongly based on an actual character from the American Girl books that Julia has read, namely Emily Bennett from "Brave Emily."  Emily Bennett travels from England to Jefferson, Illinois in 1944 to escape the Blitz. 

As you can see, in Julia's book, there are quite a few similarities to "Brave Emily" in both subject, location, and name:

Emily Cole, 1944
Julia Rowe


Contence
1. America
2. Arabella
3. The Caretaker
4. Growing Apple trees

JULIA: But Mom?  I forgot what "caretaker" means.

(One might opt not to name chapters after words of which one does not know the definition, but Julia likes to live on the edge when she writes her books.)


"America"
"The long train ride to Jefferson, Illinoas, made Emily Cole wonder what family she would go to.  After her family said there good-biy's, Emily rode on a train.  Sence world War 11 was going on.  Emily-"

I just have one question.  Did Emily ride the train across the Atlantic Ocean?  How is it possible that she said good-biy to her family and then got right on the train to America?  Unless she's coming from Canada - and I have a statement from the author that Emily comes from England - I'm not sure how she could have boarded a train immediately after saying good-biy to her English relatives.  Or...MAYBE...this is a book about a MAGIC train that can ride over the water.  Maybe it's a Harry Potter/American Girl HYBRID kind of a book!


"came to America to be safe.  Emily was ventering the train.  And aspite to her curiostie." (at this point Julia was beaming at me with pride over her choice of words.  Even though some of them are not actually real words.)  "She found a small brown woden door.  Carefully, ever so carefully, she turned the knob.  'What could this room be?' she said to herself.  Just then, she jumped.  She herd footsteps and vouices.  She-"

I knew it!  This IS a magic train!  Otherwise why would Emily find this mysterious small brown woden door, aspite to her curiostie?? 


"quikly ran back to her compartmant and threw herself on her bed.  'If only I had a friend to show this mystirius door to!' said Emily loudly.  Whenever she said this, her roommate, Caroline, would jump up.  'Show me what?' she asket.  'Come with me.'  'I want to know, Emily, but I'm not so sure we should be here.  Yes!  We musan't!' said-"

Oh, boy, now Caroline is in on it too!  Even though she insists they musan't, I have a strong feeling that Caroline is going to explore that mystirius woden door with Emily.  Let's find out:

"Caroline.  'Shhh!' said Emily.  'Caroline, be quiet.  People will here you!'  Emily warned.  'I'm just telling you, whatever is in there is probibly a secret,' said Caroline.  'Pphhh, a secret?  I don't think the door would be right here Car-'  Buumm!  'Someone's comeing,' warned Caroline.  Quikly but quietly they ran threw the door."

WAIT!  That's all Julia has written.  I can't believe she's leaving us hanging there, waiting to find out what's threw the woden door!!  Argh, the suspense is going to drive me nuts!  I simply must find out what the deal is with this woden door upon this magical train that can ride over the ocean.  But I won't rush Julia on it.  I musan't.






No comments:

Post a Comment