Friday, March 27, 2020

Books, Books, and More Books

Since they suddenly have so much more time on their hands, the girls have been reading a LOT.  Madeleine is finally making her way through the pile of books she's had on her nightstand since summer time, and today she finished a book she started back in August, "The Unicorn Quest." Last night she got to the climax of the book and was absolutely bursting with the urgent need to tell everyone in the house about it.

First she visited Ethan and I in our bedroom, wherein we were watching "Tiger King," and chattered on and on about every detail of what had happened in the last few chapters. (MADELEINE: Mommy!  The Unicorn SAVED the day!  And it was seeming like all hope was lost, but then I had to remind myself: that NEVER HAPPENS in books.  Plus, Sophie and Claire are on the cover of the next two books, so I knew they must stay alive.)

Next she traveled to Julia's room for a repeat of everything she'd told us.  I guess she still couldn't stop thinking about her book, because about an hour later, she burst back into our bedroom, hair mussed up and eyes squinted, to announce that she couldn't fall asleep.

MADELEINE: I'm just so awake because I was thinking about what I JUST read, and then THAT led me to think about "Founders of the Timeline Barrier,"* and THAT led me to think about "KOTLC,"** and then THAT led me to start thinking about what I'm gonna say in my High School GRADUATION speech...


*The so-far 45 page book series Madeleine is currently writing
**The "Keeper of the Lost Cities" book series by Shannon Messenger, with which Madeleine is currently obsessed


Like to good parent that I am, I sent her to Julia's room to get a melatonin to help her fall asleep.

Today is the end of the work/school week, but since every day is kind of like the next one around here, it doesn't really affect us that much.  I foresee more reading in our future over the next few days...months...feel free to pass along any good book recommendations!




No comments:

Post a Comment