Tuesday, June 13, 2017

School Affairs

Well, ever since I got out of work at my preschool, I have been a regular presence at the girls' elementary school.  Relax and enjoy the days I have off before the kids are done with school?  Naahh.  Let the guilt of having been less present during the school year because of my job push me into volunteer overdrive?  Yup!

Friday, as you readers know, I chaperoned Madeleine's zoo field trip.  Monday was Field Day, and did I volunteer to run various outdoor stations?  Yes I did!  It was 95 degrees outside and there is NO shade on the field.  I'm not gonna lie; it was brutal.  Plus I got to jog home and get Madeleine's media books, which she had forgotten, and jog back, during the five minute break between grades 1 & 2 going in and grades 3 & 4 coming out.  I was so gross and sweaty that Madeleine didn't even want to give me a hug.

ME: (upon seeing her come over to my station) Hi, sweetie!
MADELEINE: (arms out, running forward) Hi Mommy!  (stopping in suspicion) Uh, are you sweaty?
ME: Yeah, sorry.
MADELEINE: I thought so.  (blowing me a kiss instead.)


Today I was finally not a volunteer, but an audience, as the 4th Grade Insect Fair took place.  Julia has worked on her insect project over the past month, and I foolishly assumed the fair would simply be a chance for parents to browse the home-made bugs that kids had made.  Boy, was I underestimating things.  This Insect Fair was a to-do, complete with poems, chorus songs, and various kids dressed as insects performing a little skit.

Here's a glimpse of what the parents got to enjoy BEFORE even browsing the home-made insects:





After performing several songs and poems, the 4th graders went to their insect stations and parents finally got a chance to look at the many projects.  There were a LOT of very artistic insects.  I hadn't realized what a big deal this was going to be when Julia was working on her bug at home.  It came out with...uh...a little less flair than some of the other kids':

The Bacteria Bug



The Entymologist responsible for the discovery of the Bacteria Bug.  Also its Creator.  She's kind of like God.


Tomorrow I will be relaxing at home and enjoying my time off.  JUST KIDDING!  I'll be at Madeleine's End-of-Year party because parents are invited!  If I can't spend time relaxing at home, though, there's no one I'd rather hang out with than my girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment