Sunday, December 4, 2016

Bathroom Break at Church

From up in the choir loft today, I could see Madeleine wiggling back and forth up in the front pew of church.  A moment later, I saw her in conversation with Julia, then Madeleine went walking down the aisle towards the church doors.  Pretty certain that she was on her way to the bathroom, I left the choir loft to see if she needed a hand.  Turns out she did, because the main floor bathroom was in use, and she was feeling pretty desperate.  I hurried her downstairs with me to the bathroom in the lower hall.

MADELEINE: Thanks, Mommy!  That was taking forever waiting for the bathroom to be free.
ME: I'm glad you didn't try to hold it too long.
MADELEINE: Yeah.  And Mommy?  I didn't do the bathroom sign in sign language to Julia.  I just kind of...pointed at my CROTCH AREA, and, like...wiggled around.  And she said, "You have to go to the bathroom?" And I said, "Yes.  Will you come with me?" And she said no.

Yeah.  Why communicate in total silence with a sign language gesture you both understand when you can instead perform the totally appropriate gesture of pointing at your crotch area?  In the front pew.  At church.  Makes total sense.  Man, have I taught my children well, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment