Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Various Conversations

Madeleine, putting a dark spin on a theretofore normal conversation, as usual:

MADELEINE: Mama?  When I was in preschool, I used to think that you could only have ONE best friend.
ME: No, you can have lots!
MADELEINE: Yeah, now I have lots of best friends.
ME: So do I.  My best, best friend is Daddy, but I have other best friends too, like Neva, and my sisters.
MADELEINE: And Mama?  Are me and Julia your best, best, BEST friends?
ME: Yes!  You are.
MADELEINE: Yeah.  And Yiayia, of COURSE, because she's your mommy.  And...of COURSE your Dad must be your best friend, because...you know.

(Because he died?  Yep.  That's what she was thinking.)

ME: Yes, I really miss Grandpa.
MADELEINE: Mama?  I wish I could meet ALL the people from your family that died out.
ME: Me too.  I wish you could meet Grandpa, because he would have LOVED you.
MADELEINE: Yeah.  I have lots more grandpas than I think I have, because...some of them died out!

Yes, that branch of grandfathers that has, sadly, gone extinct.  Like the dinosaurs.



On another note, Julia herself made a comment on Madeleine's somewhat macabre sense of artistic style.

JULIA: Mommy?  Remember that song "Five Little Laps" that Madeleine made up?
ME: Yup.
JULIA: I don't know why, but I always just picture, like, these DISEMBODIED laps floating around when I hear that song!


Disembodied laps are certainly Madeleine's style, so I think Julia's mental imagery hits the mark.

1 comment: